Progress and Goals Outlined in Report to Nova Scotians

first_img The changes being introduced into the health-care system are toensure quality care and to keep people healthy. That means havingthe right mix of health-care professionals across the province;access to the right services in a timely manner, as close to homeas possible; and ensuring standards, policies and guidelines arein place and being used consistently. To assist with planning, the province has committed a seven percent funding increase for district health authorities for thenext three years. “We need that same guarantee of predictable funding from thefederal government, not only to expand what we offer, but moreimportantly, to sustain what we have now,” said Mr. MacIsaac.”This is critical as we will continue to face challenges in thehealth-care system.” Nova Scotia’s health budget is $2.2 billion. Every hour, $250,000is spent on health care in Nova Scotia. The $60 million in one-time additional funding announced by the federal government, forexample, would cover only 240 hours or 10 days of health care inNova Scotia. The report, released today, March 19, will be distributed to NovaScotians through daily newspapers on March 27. It is available onthe department’s website at www.gov.ns.ca/health . Nova Scotians who need health-care services have access to moredoctors and more nurses, new community-based health programs andare experiencing shorter wait times. The findings are captured inthe health ministers’ first annual report to Nova Scotians on theprovince’s health-care system. The report, titled the Ministers’ Report to Nova Scotians:Confident Change for Quality Care, is a follow-up to the 2003Your Health Matters plan. Your Health Matters focuses on healthpromotion, shorter wait lists, seniors’ care and health servicesin communities. Progress in these key areas is highlighted in theministers’ report. “When we released Your Health Matters, we committed to updatingNova Scotians on improvements and challenges in the health-caresystem,” said Mr. MacIsaac. “I’m very proud of the progress we’vemade over the past year amidst various challenges. This reportwill provide Nova Scotians with the opportunity to see what we’redoing to improve the health-care system today and how today’ssuccesses fit into our vision for the future.” The report to Nova Scotians highlights the progress made in thelast year. Some of the highlights include: more doctors andnurses are now working in Nova Scotia — last year at least 46new physicians were recruited through the health department’srecruitment office; there are 156 more registered nurses at thebeginning of the 2004 licensing year than the previous year; anadditional 91 long-term care beds were added in the province inthe past year. There have also been improvements in wait times. The $5 millioninvested by the province in a new cardiac catheterization (cath)lab and additional surgery capacity at the QEII Health SciencesCentre has ensured cardiac care wait times are well withinnational standards. A 10-point plan was announced in January 2004to address wait times at the QEII emergency department, andadditional resources were announced for orthopedic surgery inHalifax and New Glasgow. The Department of Health has alsocommitted to acting on the recommendations of the Wait TimeMonitoring Project Steering Committee to implement standardized,provincewide wait time information over the next five years. The last year has also seen more community mental healthresources. In 2003, a new intensive community-based mental healthtreatment team for children and youth was established in CapeBreton; in 2004, a new treatment centre for youth with severe andpersistent mental health or behavioural problems was opened inHalifax. “We know that changing our overall health status will take years – a full generation perhaps,” Health Promotion Minister RodneyMacDonald said. “People need to choose healthier lifestyles, while government needs to ensure that health is considered in alldecisions. And we are. There are many challenges that affect usall, but there is a real desire to work together to achieve ahealthier province.”last_img read more

Corentyne rice infestation GRDBs no outbreak report being refuted by farmers

Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedBerbice farmers predict major losses again from paddy bug infestationAugust 8, 2019In “Business”$1.5B lost to paddy bug infestation in Region 6April 22, 2019In “Business”Corentyne rice farmers suffering losses with crop infestationsMarch 9, 2018In “Business”,According to the GRDB, a visit to the area revealed that there is no outbreak of the worm associated with the water weevil as reported. The State rice entity stated that the pest was only found in one farmer’s field in the area.However, “several farmers contacted Nand Persaud and Company Limited on the infestation issue and have benefited from intense investigative field visits and follow-up plans conducted by their agronomist. This has resulted from significant recoveries made from the fields treated and arduous efforts are currently in progress to bring the pest infestation under control,” the rice milling company said.Nand Persaud and Company Limited, one of the largest rice mills in Berbice, on Tuesday said the presence of the pest was characterised by stunted plant growth and yellowing of leaves. These signs often cause confusion among rice farmers who mistakenly believe that there is a nutrient deficiency problem.In its release dated March 9, the GRDB listed seven chemicals, including Matador, to be used to deal with the pest.However, Nand Persaud and Company Limited has strongly objected to this. According to the company, the rice farmers should not utilise the pesticide Matador for the treatment of this pest or paddy bugs since it has been found to escalate the problem.The Plant Hopper is known to transmit a virus called Hoja Blanca which can result in 25-50 per cent loss in yield if the problem is not identified and treated early.Recently, brightly coloured leaves were observed on some of the paddy plants.According to some farmers, their fields have experienced stunted growth over the past month.One of the affected farmers is former Rice Producers Association (RPA) Extension Officer Ramlakhan Singh, who farms at Number 56 Village. According to the GRDB, a visit to the area revealed that there is no outbreak of the worm associated with the water weevil as reported. The State rice entity stated that the pest was only found in one farmer’s field in the area.However, “several farmers contacted Nand Persaud and Company Limited on the infestation issue and have benefited from intense investigative field visits and follow-up plans conducted by their agronomist. This has resulted from significant recoveries made from the fields treated and arduous efforts are currently in progress to bring the pest infestation under control,” the rice milling company said.Nand Persaud and Company Limited, one of the largest rice mills in Berbice, on Tuesday said the presence of the pest was characterised by stunted plant growth and yellowing of leaves. These signs often cause confusion among rice farmers who mistakenly believe that there is a nutrient deficiency problem.In its release dated March 9, the GRDB listed seven chemicals, including Matador, to be used to deal with the pest.However, Nand Persaud and Company Limited has strongly objected to this. According to the company, the rice farmers should not utilise the pesticide Matador for the treatment of this pest or paddy bugs since it has been found to escalate the problem.The Plant Hopper is known to transmit a virus called Hoja Blanca which can result in 25-50 per cent loss in yield if the problem is not identified and treated early.Recently, brightly coloured leaves were observed on some of the paddy plants.According to some farmers, their fields have experienced stunted growth over the past month.One of the affected farmers is former Rice Producers Association (RPA) Extension Officer Ramlakhan Singh, who farms at Number 56 Village. Affected rice farmers are refuting the contentions of the Guyana Rice Development Board (GRDB) which posited that there has been no outbreak of the worm associated with the water weevil on the Corentyne and have since turned to Nand Persaud and Company Limited for help. read more