AR glasses company picks up Intel tech

first_img Previous ArticleAT&T sets mobile 5G launch date, reveals pricingNext ArticleSafaricom maintains mobile money dominance EC clears SK Hynix to acquire Intel memory assets Related Apple faces 5G modem wait Tags AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedInShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to MoreAddThisMore 18 DEC 2018 Steve Costello Devices center_img Wearables company North acquired Intel’s smart glasses technology portfolio, including intellectual property and assets related to a consumer augmented reality (AR) glasses project.The Canada-based company said this will be used “to accelerate an already aggressive R&D programme, advanced manufacturing operation and product roadmap”. Terms of the deal were not announced.Intel has been scaling back its wearables business for some time, ending development of its own smart glasses and other products.North, formerly known as Thalmic Labs, has raised more than $140 million to date, with Intel Capital an existing investor. Stephen Lake, co-founder and CEO, said: “Intel has been deeply supportive of North since early on. This deal highlights their ongoing commitment both to us and the future of innovation in this emerging category.”The deal will give the wearables company nearly 650 patents and patent applications by the end of the year, making it the holder of “one of the most robust smart glasses portfolios in the world”.It was reported in November that North had secured a $24 million investment from the government of Canada to be used building out its manufacturing capabilities in its home town of Kitchener-Waterloo.North is currently ramping activity for its Focus glasses, which include a transparent, holographic display that only the wearer can see.The $999 glasses are custom built and require a trip to a showroom in either Brooklyn or Toronto. Subscribe to our daily newsletter Back US chip funding tipped to top $150B IntelThalmic Labs Home AR glasses company picks up Intel tech Author Steve works across all of Mobile World Live’s channels and played a lead role in the launch and ongoing success of our apps and devices services. He has been a journalist…More Read more last_img read more

€140,000 of drugs seized in Letterkenny

first_img €140,000 worth of the drug 4-MEC which was seized in LetterkennyOver €140,000 worth of the drug 4-MEC has been seized in a major drugs swoop in Donegal.As part of an intelligence-led operation involving Revenue’s Customs Service, the Garda National Drugs Unit and the Letterkenny Drugs Unit, approximately 4 kilograms of the drug were seized in an operation yesterday.The seizure was the result of a controlled delivery of the package, originating in China, to an address in Letterkenny.4-MEC is a chemical that bears a chemical resemblance to mephedrone. It is known to produce effects like that of Cocaine and Ecstasy.A 28 year old male was arrested and detained at Letterkenny Garda Station under the provisions of section 2 Criminal Justice (Drug Trafficking) Act 1996.In a separate operation last week, officers from Revenue’s Custom’s service at Cork airport seized cocaine from a 46 year old Bolivian national who had arrived on a flight from Bolivia via Amsterdam.The man was found to have ingested 84 pellets of cocaine amounting to one kilo with an approximate value of €70,000.The man who had been arrested by Gardai and taken to Togher Garda Station was charged on Monday at Cork District Court. Twitter €140,000 of drugs seized in Letterkenny Facebook Twitter Publicans in Republic watching closely as North reopens further Facebook Previous articleRock guitarist Henry McCullough seriously ill in hospitalNext articleOctober Night With The Stars News Highland Pinterest Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic News Community Enhancement Programme open for applications center_img Pinterest Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Google+ Google+ By News Highland – November 7, 2012 WhatsApp RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WhatsApp Renewed calls for full-time Garda in Kilmacrennanlast_img read more

News / Battle for truck capacity looms as China’s factories and warehouses reopen

first_imgBy Sam Whelan 07/02/2020 Freight forwarders in China are expecting a battle for truck capacity next week as factories and warehouses slowly reopen following the coronavirus outbreak.According to Shanghai-based Marco Reichel, APAC business development manager at Crane Worldwide Logistics, some manufacturers will restart on Monday, while others will stay shuttered until 14 February.“The biggest issue next week will be the trucking,” he told The Loadstar.“There are some trucking companies in tier-1 cities able to receive bookings for next week. Otherwise definitely there will be a fight for trucks – all forwarders are trying to get as many as they can.” The biggest challenge, according to Mr Reichel, is travel restrictions that may prevent drivers from returning to work, since many were stranded in their home towns over the extended holiday period.“We don’t expect much coming out of factories next week, but there’s cargo sitting in warehouses and this is the difficult part to get the drivers for,” he said.“In Shanghai, we’re expecting rates will definitely increase based on the demand. Truck drivers are rejecting inland provinces because they want to make as many trips a day as possible, so they’re focusing on tier-1 and port cities.”Reports of quarantined cargo are also causing delays. For example, Mr Reichel said, some warehouses in Shanghai, especially those near the airport, were rejecting cargo from Hubei province, the epicentre of the outbreak, unless it waits five days in quarantine.“This is not official policy…we believe the virus can’t spread on these materials, but apparently some warehouses are doing it anyway.”Cargo inspections and screening of drivers have ground cross-border trucking to a halt in some instances, too. According to consultant A2 Global Risk, Hong Kong, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Mongolia, Nepal, North Korea, Pakistan, Russia, and Vietnam have completely or partially closed borders with mainland China.“Almost no trucks are moving across China-Vietnam border,” said Gursimran Singh, senior manager with China-ASEAN cross-border trucking specialist KART Asia. “This has definitely affected the supply chain, as most of the supply to Vietnamese factories comes from China.“This border was supposed to be closed until 10 February, but no one knows if the date will be extended. Even if the borders reopen, movement will still not be in full flow, due to obvious medical concerns.”Crane’s Mr Reichel reckoned cross-border trucking could be affected until the end of the month.“Everyone is asking for rail space at the moment,” he said, adding that customers are waiting to see whether there will be more blanked sailings by ocean carriers.“We’re also looking into some solutions where we move cargo by rail to Rotterdam, and then by ocean to North and South America.“First departures will go on 14 February, but the week after that there could be a lack of space, as more and more clients move towards rail.”Crane plans to reopen its Shanghai office on Monday, but Mr Reichel said there may still be travel difficulties for staff trying to return to the city.“Everything is very uncertain, and at the moment we’re still guessing how the situation might unfold.”last_img read more

R.I.P., Carl Monzo: Trey Anastasio, Bob Weir, Dave Schools, More Remember The Accomplished Security Head

first_imgCarl Monzo, the longtime event services professional who worked with countless bands and festivals and served as the head of security for Phish, passed away on Monday. Monzo was also the president and CEO of National Event Services, which provides artists and event organizers with emergency medical services, event staff and security, public safety consulting, and more.Per the National Event Services website, “Carl began his career in Emergency Services in 1979. During his early career, Carl found the sports and entertainment industry was lacking in quality, professional emergency medical care. Based on this, Carl helped develop the first private ambulance service in Pennsylvania exclusively serving the special events industry.”As Emergency Services grew and evolved considerably over the last four decades, Carl led the charge, ensuring a safe environment for mass gatherings like sporting events, concerts, and music festivals. He wrote some of the first safety planning manuals and built staffing models where none previously existed, setting the bar for emergency services in the modern festival community.In the wake of Monzo’s passing on Monday, various artists and members of the live music community recognized the loss with heartfelt posts on social media. In addition to posts by the Phish accounts, guitarist Trey Anastasio posted a personal note along with a photo of himself, Monzo, and drummer Jon Fishman backstage at a concert. As Trey noted, “Whenever I arrived at a venue on the bus, Carl’s smiling face was always the first to welcome me. In the hallways outside of our dressing rooms, when we showed up at a venue and when we left at the end of the night, Carl was everywhere. He was always laughing and smiling, and made us feel safe and relaxed.”Various other artists and industry professionals have offered tributes to Monzo, including Bob Weir and Oteil Burbridge (Dead & Company) and Dave Schools (Widespread Panic). Scroll down to see a few of the touching Carl Monzo posts. Rest in Peace, Carl. Thank you for keeping everyone safe all these years.last_img read more

Zhen Hua arrives in Rosyth

first_imgThe 81,000 dwt and 40 m wide Zhen Hua 24, carrying steel deck sections ranging in weight from 270 to 350 tonnes, was the largest vessel ever to visit the Port of Rosyth, claimed Forth Ports. In 2011, Forth Crossing Bridge Constructors (FCBC) chose the Port of Rosyth as its hub for transporting materials and equipment between the port and the jobsite for the Queensferry Crossing construction project.The project has seen the port transformed with significant investment to strengthen the quayside storage areas to accommodate heavy loads, said Forth Ports.”The significant investment by Forth Ports and the FCBC project team in strengthening the quayside storage areas at North Wall; security systems; and warehousing at the port; as well as the new improved road infrastructure that the opening of the new bridge will bring, will position Rosyth as a key location for specialist project work and heavy lift operations,” said Forth Ports’ chief executive, Charles Hammond.The bridge project is expected to be completed and the bridge opened to traffic in March, 2016.  www.forthports.co.ukwww.zpmc.comlast_img read more

Mudslide-devastated California towns face evacuations, brace for downpour

first_img Related iStock/Thinkstock(MONTECITO, Calif.) — Rain is pummeling the West Coast from Oregon to Southern California as the strongest storm of the season moves in over the next 24 hours.Waves of rain are expected over the next two days in California, with the heaviest hitting the southern part of the state.In Santa Barbara County, 30,000 people were told to evacuate, including residents of Montecito, who were hard-hit from the deadly mudslides in January.The heaviest rain is expected to reach Southern California on Thursday, and rainfall rates could be as high as 1 inch per hour — causing possible mudslides and rock slides.Rainfall totals in Los Angeles and Santa Barbara could reach 2 to 3 inches. The coastal range could see as much as 5 to 10 inches.Meanwhile, a winter storm warning is also in effect for the Sierra Nevada Mountain range in Northern California, which could see close to 5 feet of snow by Saturday.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.Powered by WPeMaticolast_img read more