Apptopia October report: Asian developers dominate the top new games on iOS and AndroidGames from Asian markets account for nine of the top ten new games on App Store in terms of IAP spendingHaydn TaylorSenior Staff WriterWednesday 7th November 2018Share this article Recommend Tweet ShareMarket intelligence firm Apptopia has revealed the top new games worldwide for October across iOS and Android. In terms of in-app spending, Asia dominates the App Store, with nine out of ten top grossing new games coming from Asian markets. It’s a different story regarding downloads however, where only four out of the top ten new games are from Asian markets. “Apple continues to make inroads in Asia,” said Apptopia. “While its market share of downloads in the continent is not strong, it has been able to tap into the culture’s propensity to spend on mobile.”Despite this, Android still leads in Asian markets with the top new games racking up more downloads and higher in-app purchase revenue. Words Story, Unnie Doll, and Pac-Man: Ralph Breaks the Maze are the standouts for October, managing to break the top ten downloads on both iOS and Android. Regarding in-app spending revenue, only Atelier Online, Bacrett Monster, and Deity made the top ten on both stores. Breaking down new games by category, Arcade and Puzzle lead both the App Store and Google Play. While strategy titles have long proved to be some of the highest grossing games on mobile, it’s not an area many new developers are seeking to exploit. Related JobsSenior Game Designer – UE4 – AAA United Kingdom Amiqus GamesProgrammer – REMOTE – work with industry veterans! North West Amiqus GamesJunior Video Editor – GLOBAL publisher United Kingdom Amiqus GamesDiscover more jobs in games “In October, the top 50 Strategy games created 78% of the revenue for that category,” said Apptopia. “This category is top heavy and dominated by games such as Clash of Clans, Lords Mobile, Final Fantasy XV, etc. “As you can see by the breakdown of new game launches, developers mostly, and correctly, leaned in other directions for their new games in October.”Celebrating employer excellence in the video games industry8th July 2021Submit your company Sign up for The Mobile newsletter and get the best of GamesIndustry.biz in your inbox. Enter your email addressMore storiesEpic vs Apple – Week One Review: Epic still faces an “uphill battle”Legal experts share their thoughts on the proceedings so far, and what to expect from the coming weekBy James Batchelor 11 hours agoEpic Games claims Fortnite is at “full penetration” on consoleAsserts that mobile with the biggest growth potential as it fights for restoration to iOS App StoreBy James Batchelor 14 hours agoLatest comments Sign in to contributeEmail addressPasswordSign in Need an account? Register now.
CFOs worldwide are sounding the alarm about excess office space. (iStock)The Covid-19 vaccine is being distributed across the country, but it may already be too late for commercial real estate landlords and investors.Companies around the globe are looking at how they can cut costs in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic, and scaling back real estate holdings is one big way they’re looking to do so. Bloomberg analyzed transcripts from over 4,700 earnings calls between July 21 and Dec. 8, and found that one in eight “revealed that firms were rethinking their real estate needs.”(If that figure seems bleak, consider this: Bloomberg says that “[g]iven the limitations of AI and live transcriptions,” even more companies may have discussed cutting real estate costs, but not have been captured in its analysis. Yikes.)Companies aren’t just looking at reducing their office footprint: According to the analysis, other possible cost-cutting measures include closing branches and data centers and attempting to negotiate lower rents.Already, office vacancy rates in major metropolitan areas are reaching record levels. In Manhattan, the vacancy rate recently hit 13 percent, a rate not seen since 2003. In Chicago, the vacancy rate is 22 percent; in Los Angeles, it’s 21 percent. This could spell doom for investors and landlords who have significant holdings in those buildings.The commercial mortgage-backed securities market, meanwhile, may see heavy losses if companies continue to scale back their real-estate holdings.[Bloomberg] — Amy Plitt This content is for subscribers only.Subscribe Now
Sarah Davis is group commercial legal director at Guardian Media Group Never mind a week; a day is a long time in the politics of media regulation. On Monday Jeremy Hunt, who succeeded Vince Cable as the minister responsible for deciding on News Corporation’s proposed acquisition of up to 60.9% of BSkyB, told MPs that he is referring News Corporation’s bid to the Competition Commission. A week earlier no one would have predicted that, but then a week earlier Rupert Murdoch had not closed down the News of the World following public outrage over the phone-hacking scandal. Hunt’s announcement was the only possible response to News Corporation’s sudden withdrawal of the undertakings Murdoch had previously worked so hard to persuade the government to accept in exchange for allowing the bid to proceed. Murdoch’s surprise move seems to be aimed at taking the decision out of the hands of politicians and ensuring that it is not made at a time when News Corporation is vilified in all quarters. On Monday morning Hunt had asked the regulator Ofcom whether ‘any new information that has come to light causes you to reconsider any part of your previous advice, including your confidence in the credibility, sustainability or practicalities of the undertakings offered by News Corporation’. By Monday afternoon this question might have seemed less urgent, perhaps even redundant, following Hunt’s referral of the bid to the Competition Commission, which will buy Murdoch time. The commission may clear or block the proposed takeover, or it could propose remedies aimed at easing concerns about ‘media plurality’. A great deal has been written about the proposed acquisition by News Corporation of BSkyB since Cable, the business secretary, issued a European Intervention Notice in connection with the transaction, in November 2010, specifying the public interest consideration of sufficiency of plurality of persons with control of media enterprises. Hunt’s announcement this week in fact gives effect to Ofcom’s original advice, on the last day of 2010, that the bid should be referred to the Competition Commission. The secretary of state has a statutory discretion that allows him to accept undertakings in lieu of a reference to the commission. Hunt took the view that only if no suitable undertakings were offered by News Corporation would he refer the transaction. At times the secretary of state’s decision-making process seemed somewhat improvised, with merger control remedies being unsatisfactorily applied to public interest considerations. Then, less than two weeks ago, Hunt announced he was minded to exercise his discretion in favour of accepting News Corporation undertakings claimed to be sufficient to protect media plurality, which included Sky News being spun off as a separate, independent, entity and capping News Corporation’s shareholding at 39%. The collision of the phone-hacking scandal with this process has highlighted that the merger control remedy of accepting undertakings from News Corporation in lieu of a reference to the commission, in relation to the BSkyB bid, could not credibly be divorced from considerations of fitness and propriety. How could activities at News International, which raise serious questions of corporate governance, be treated as something separate from News Corporation’s BSkyB bid, given that the green light for the transaction rested on the secretary of state’s willingness to accept undertakings from News Corporation that related to corporate governance? While the ‘fit and proper test’ is not the secretary of state’s to apply, it was beginning to look untenable, both politically and legally, for there to be no consideration of this issue. The question that will now entertain and occupy media and competition lawyers is what Ofcom will do next. Last Thursday the regulator issued this statement: ‘In the light of the current public debate about phone hacking and other allegations, Ofcom confirms that it has a duty to be satisfied on an ongoing basis that the holder of a broadcasting licence is “fit and proper”.’ We look forward to hearing more about that.
Dutch club Fortuna Sittard have dismissed former Super Eagles boss Sunday Oliseh from his role as manager.His dismissal was confirmed via a club statement which also revealed that his sack was not unconnected with his behaviour rather than results he oversaw for the second-tier side.The club statement said: “Fortuna Sittard immediately puts his coach Sunday Oliseh on non-active.The club management makes this decision as a result of the repeatedly culpable actions for a longer period by the trainer towards several persons in the organization.Several attempts by the club to move the trainer to other behavior were unfortunately without result, resulting in an unworkable situation.The board of Fortuna Sittard emphasizes that the decision to disband Sunday Oliseh is not motivated by the current sporting performance.Because of his inadmissible actions, the coach has made the cooperation with many people within the organization impossible.From players to employees. Fortuna Sittard regrets the decision but states that the club interest goes above all else.” the statement concluded.RelatedFortuna Sittard Vow To Take Legal Actions Against Oliseh As Dutch Club Deny ‘Illegal Practices’ AccusationFebruary 15, 2018In “Europe”Oliseh Is Still Our Head Coach – Fortuna Sittard Deny Sack RumoursJanuary 30, 2018In “Europe”Oliseh Confirms Fortuna Sittard Suspension; Berates Club For Illegal ActivitiesFebruary 14, 2018In “Europe”
A knight stood on the ice before a sword in a stone when Gnash, the Predators’ mascot, rappelled from the ceiling behind him and clocked him on the head.The shade….Nashville mocking the Golden Knights’ pregame show. #Smashville #VegasBorn pic.twitter.com/Loa6IzxJoI— Jesse Granger (@JesseGranger_) October 31, 2018The comical rendition seemed to work, as the Predators pulled off a 4-1 victory over the Golden Knights. Related News Ahead of the Golden Knights’ matchup in Nashville on Tuesday, the Predators mocked the elaborate display that featured, you guessed it, a knight preparing for battle, with a hilarious parody. NHL announces betting partnership with MGM Resorts Vegas failed to capture the Stanley Cup in its inaugural season despite a historic playoff run, but it did win best and most over-the-top pregame show.