California revisits three-strike life sentences

first_imgHomeFeaturedCalifornia revisits three-strike life sentences Oct. 19, 2018 at 5:00 amFeaturedNewsCalifornia revisits three-strike life sentencesAssociated Press3 years agoapNews DON THOMPSONAssociated PressCalifornia will reconsider life sentences for up to 4,000 nonviolent third-strike criminals by allowing them to seek parole under a ballot measure approved by voters two years ago, according to court documents obtained by The Associated Press on Thursday.The state will craft new regulations by January to include the repeat offenders in early release provisions. Gov. Jerry Brown also will not appeal a court ruling that the state is illegally excluding the nonviolent career criminals from parole under the 2016 ballot measure he championed to reduce the prison population and encourage rehabilitation.The state parole board estimates between 3,000 and 4,000 nonviolent third-strikers could be affected, said corrections department spokeswoman Vicky Waters, “but they would have to go through rigorous public safety screenings and a parole board hearing before any decision is made.”It’s the second such loss for the Democratic governor, who leaves office days after the new rules are due. Another judge ruled in February that the state must consider earlier parole for potentially thousands of sex offenders. The administration is fighting that ruling, which undercuts repeated promises that Brown made to voters to exclude sex offenders from earlier release.Prosecutors are not surprised and warned throughout the Prop. 57 campaign that nonviolent third-strikers would unintentionally fall under the measure’s constitutional amendment, said California District Attorneys Association spokeswoman Jennifer Jacobs.“We expect the same exact thing to happen with regard to sex offenders,” she said. “To fix this they’re going to have to go back to the people for a vote, which can’t even happen for another two years.”Brown will not appeal last month’s ruling by a three-judge appellate panel in the Second Appellate District in a Los Angeles County case that third-strikers must be included under Proposition 57’s constitutional amendment. It requires parole consideration for “any person convicted of a nonviolent felony offense” regardless of enhancements under California’s three strikes law.“There is no question that the voters who approved Proposition 57 intended (inmates) serving Three Strikes indeterminate sentences to be eligible for early parole consideration,” the appeals court ruled, adding that, “There is strong evidence the voters who approved Proposition 57 sought to provide relief to nonviolent offenders.”Administration lawyers said in a filing in a separate related case that the state “is not seeking review” of the appeals court decision and “is in the process of drafting new emergency regulations in compliance” with the decision by Jan. 5.Michael Romano, director of the Stanford Three Strikes Project, called the administration’s decision to comply “a big deal, a huge deal.”Clients potentially affected by the new decision include inmates serving life terms for stealing a bicycle, possessing less than half a gram of methamphetamine, stealing two bottles of liquor or shoplifting shampoo, he said.“It’s a monumental decision. It’s one of the biggest decisions on sentencing policy in the Brown administration,” said Romano, whose project represented third-strike inmates in several appeals.The ruling doesn’t guarantee any of the offenders will get out of jail. But it allows them to go before the parole board. Romano estimates 4,000 people will be eligible for parole.Nonviolent third-strikers are disproportionately black, disproportionately mentally ill and statistically among the least likely to commit additional crimes, said Romano, who has studied the issue.He cited corrections department data on more than 2,200 nonviolent, non-serious third strikers who were paroled under a 2012 ballot measure that allowed most inmates serving life terms for relatively minor third strikes to ask courts for shorter terms. Less than 11 percent returned to prison by October 2016, the latest data available, he said, compared to nearly 45 percent for other prisoners.Tags :apNewsshare on Facebookshare on Twitteradd a commentWalking Tour of Adelaide Drive: A Neighborhood Above It AllChallenge for indicted Republicans: Win re-electionYou Might Also LikeFeaturedNewsBobadilla rejects Santa Monica City Manager positionMatthew Hall9 hours agoNewsCouncil picks new City ManagerBrennon Dixson20 hours agoFeaturedNewsProtesting parents and Snapchat remain in disagreement over child protection policiesClara Harter20 hours agoFeaturedNewsDowntown grocery to become mixed use developmenteditor20 hours agoNewsBruised but unbowed, meme stock investors are back for moreAssociated Press20 hours agoNewsWedding boom is on in the US as vendors scramble to keep upAssociated Press20 hours agolast_img read more

Germany Takes the Lead in WEG Dressage

first_img We’ll send you our regular newsletter and include you in our monthly giveaways. PLUS, you’ll receive our exclusive Rider Fitness digital edition with 15 exercises for more effective riding. Horse Sport Enews Germany took the lead after the first day of Team Dressage at the FEI World Equestrian Games™ Tryon 2018, but the defending champions have only a narrow lead over Sweden in silver and the USA in bronze medal position when the battle resumes in the morning. This halfway result is based on the best individual score for each team in today’s Grand Prix, so there is plenty of room for dramatic change before the podium places are decided.German domination was underpinned by the best performance of the day from Jessica von Bredow-Werndl (32) and the 11-year-old mare TSF Dalera BB whose mark of 76.77 gives her side a 1.4 point advantage over the Swedes.A personal-best score of 75.248 from Juliette Ramel (31) and Buriel K saw them slot into second and dramatically boost Swedish chances. A total of 38 horse-and-rider combinations took their turn today, and another 39 will strut their stuff before the 2018 champions are crowned tomorrow evening.The mighty Germans are chasing down their 12th world championship team title, and Von Bredow-Werndl has put them on track to achieve just that on her own world championship debut.“I watched the first two horses from up in the stand with my brother Benni and I suddenly got the shivers and felt motivated because I realised how many other people would like to be in my shoes! So I went in there feeling full of power and Delera was just brilliant,” said Von Bredow-Werndl.Ramel and Buriel KH were in the Swedish team that finished fifth at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games where they were hugely impressive. An accident while competing in Aachen (GER) last summer however put the horse out of action for quite some time. But the rider, who initially trained with The Netherlands’ Edward Gal and Hans Peter Minderhoud and who is now coached by Swedish star Patrick Kittel, has made an impressive comeback with the 12-year-old gelding this season when producing consistently good results, particularly in the Grand Prix Special. The top 30 combinations in the team event will qualify for individual medals in Friday’s Special, so Ramel will be one to look out for over the coming days.The host nation snatched third place at this halfway stage of the team event when Adrienne Lyle finished individually fourth with Salvino this afternoon.“I’m specially pleased with him since we warmed up in a complete downpour and then it was blazing hot the next second – fitness is a big factor here. He’s a big dark horse and I did my best to get him as fit as I could, and I’m glad I did because it took every ounce of the fitness he had out there in that heat,” Lyle said.It’s far from over however, with the British threatening strongly in fourth place just 0.3 behind the Americans and looking set to rocket up the leaderboard when Carl Hester and Hawtins Delicato and Charlotte Dujardin riding Mount St John Freestyle take to the arena floor.The Netherlands holds fifth place, Spain is in sixth and Denmark lies seventh of the 15 competing nations.Full results here. Tags: 2018 World Equestrian Games, 2018 WEG Dressage, SIGN UP Email* Subscribe to the Horse Sport newsletter and get an exclusive bonus digital edition! More from Horse Sport:Christilot Boylen Retires From Team SportAfter an exemplary career as one of Canada’s top Dressage riders, seven-time Olympian Christilot Boylen has announced her retirement from team competition.2020 Royal Agricultural Winter Fair CancelledFor only the second time in its history, The Royal Agricultural Winter Fair has been cancelled but plans are being made for some virtual competitions.Royal Agricultural Winter Fair Statement on 2020 EventAs the Province of Ontario starts to reopen, The Royal’s Board and staff will adhere to all recommendations put forward by government and health officials.Government Financial Assistance for Ontario FarmersOntario Equestrian has recently released this update of several financial assistance packages available, including those for farm business.last_img read more

England cricketers end winless streak in style

first_imgPAKISTAN 1st innings: 174:England first innings(overnight 302-7)Alastair Cook c Sarfraz Ahmed b Hasan Ali 46Keaton Jennings c Sarfraz Ahmed b Faheem Ashraf 29Joe Root c Sarfraz Ahmed b Mohammad Amir 45Dom Bess c Asad Shafiq b Shadab Khan 49Dawid Malan c Haris Sohail b Mohammad Amir 28Jonny Bairstow c Sarfraz Ahmed b Faheem Ashraf 21Jos Buttler Not Out 80Chris Woakes c Sarfraz Ahmed b Mohammad Abbas 17Sam Curran c Asad Shafiq b Mohammad Abbas 20Stuart Broad c Mohammad Abbas b Faheem Ashraf 2James Anderson c Haris Sohail b Hasan Ali 5Extras 8b 13lb 0nb 0pen 0w 21Total (106.2 overs) 363 all outFall of Wickets : 1-53 Jennings, 2-104 Cook, 3-138 Root, 4-200 Malan, 5-212 Bess, 6-260 Bairstow, 7-285 Woakes, 8-319 Curran, 9-344 Broad, 10-363 AndersonBowling: Mohammad Amir 23 – 5 – 72 – 2, Mohammad Abbas 26- 8- 78- 2,Hasan Ali 20.2 – 4 – 82 – 2, Faheem Ashraf 20 – 4 – 60 – 3, Shadab Khan 17- 2- 50 – 1,PAKISTAN 2nd inningsAzhar Ali b James Anderson 11Imam ul-Haq lbw Dom Bess 34Haris Sohail c Dom Bess b James Anderson 8Asad Shafiq c Jonny Bairstow b Stuart Broad 5Usman Salahuddin c Joe Root b Dom Bess 33Sarfraz Ahmed lbw Chris Woakes 8Shadab Khan c Alastair Cook b Sam Curran 4Faheem Ashraf c Dawid Malan b Dom Bess 3Mohammad Amir Not Out 7Hasan Ali c Alastair Cook b Stuart Broad 9Mohammad Abbas c Joe Root b Stuart Broad 1Extras 5b 5lb 1nb 0pen 0w 11Total (46.0 overs) 134 all outFall of Wickets : 1-20 Ali, 2-30 Sohail, 3-42 Shafiq, 4-84 ul-Haq, 5-97 Ahmed, 6-102 Khan, 7-111 Ashraf, 8-115 Salahuddin, 9-124 Ali, 10-134 AbbasBowling : James Anderson 10 – 2 – 35 – 2, Stuart Broad 12 – 2 – 28 – 3, (1nb)Sam Curran 7 – 2 – 10 – 1, Chris Woakes 6 – 0 – 18 – 1, Dom Bess 11- 1- 33- 3, ..complete rout of Pakistan inside three daysENGLAND made amends for their Lord’s debacle with a comprehensive victory over Pakistan at Headingley to tie the series 1-1.Joe Root’s side were thrashed by nine wickets in the opening Test match but found their groove in Leeds, dominating with bat and ball to end their eight-game winless streak.Newcomers Dom Bess and Sam Curran impressed with the ball on day three after Jos Buttler brought his swashbuckling best with the bat to build England’s lead to 189.Buttler’s unbeaten 80 helped the hosts post a respectable 363 all out, before England’s bowlers made short work of Pakistan to triumph by an innings and 55 runs.James Anderson – so often the talisman – got them on their way before the rest of the unit chipped in, Bess grabbing his first three Test wickets to finally put a smile on Root’s face after months of misery in the longest format.Buttler and Curran had resumed with England on 302-7 and they peppered the boundary early on as Pakistan struggled to make any inroads.Curran, on his 20th birthday, eventually fell for 20 but Buttler was not to be denied, going to 50 with a huge six as he comfortably handled a raft of short deliveries from the Pakistan seamers.He was dropped on 66 by Usman Salahuddin in the deep, a reprieve he took full advantage of by hitting 10 off the next two deliveries.While the Lancashire batsman ran out of partners, his innings led to a deserved standing ovation from those inside the ground as he made his way off the field.Buttler’s aggressive approach was matched by new-ball pair Anderson (2-35) and Stuart Broad (3-28), the former making a mess of Azhar Ali’s stumps in the fifth over as the batsman played around a straight delivery.With the winds in their sails England set about stifling the Pakistan batsmen, a plan that worked well as wickets began to tumble at regular intervals.A sublime catch by Bess at extra cover gave Anderson his second as Haris Sohail (8) departed, before the spinner was celebrating his maiden Test victim as Imam-ul-Haq (34) was trapped lbw.Chris Woakes (1-18) and Curran (1-10) soon got themselves in on the act as Pakistan’s resistance waned, their 189-run target to make England bat again looking tougher with each passing over.Broad wrapped things up with the final two wickets as the tourists were toppled for 134, handing the hosts a resounding win inside three days.last_img read more

Crystal Palace player arrived at airport last night, gets hero’s welcome…

first_imgYesterday we covered reports from Turkey with regards to the Super Lig side’s interest in the Norwegian, and it now seems they are very close to completing a deal for the Eagles player.The Norwegian striker got a hero’s welcome at the airport with a number of Trabzonspor fans greeting him with chants and flares.It’s been reported there are some details to cover with regards to the deal, but Fanatik say the 22 year old will join the Turkish club on a season long loan deal.Reportedly Trabzonspor president Ahmet Agaoglu has managed get a deal done for the Crystal Palace man in ‘complete secrecy’ (which he clearly hasn’t) and Fanatik say he’s very happy with the imminent arrival of the young forward.The Turkish newspaper report that after his medical, Sorloth will be officially announced as a Trabzonspor player.Sorloth joined the Premier League side in 2017 but failed to make an impact in England, leading to a loan move to Gent last season. Crystal Palace striker Alexander Sorloth arrived in Trabzon last night to complete his move to Trazbonspor.last_img read more

‘Star Wars’ actor Peter Mayhew, who played Chewbacca, dies at age 74

first_imgPeter Mayhew with Harrison Ford at the 2015 London premiere of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”; Anthony Harvey/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — Peter Mayhew, the actor best known for originating the role of Chewbacca in the Star Wars films, has died at age 74.“The family of Peter Mayhew, with deep love and sadness, regrets to share the news that Peter has passed away. He left us the evening of April 30, 2019 with his family by his side in his North Texas home,” reads a message on Mayhew’s official Twitter.Mayhew died of a heart attack, a family spokesperson told ABC News.Star Wars co-star Mark Hamill, who played Luke Skywalker, called 7′ 4″ Mayhew “the gentlest of giants — A big man with an even bigger heart who never failed to make me smile & a loyal friend who I loved dearly,” adding that he’s “a better man for just having known him.”In a statement, Harrison Ford, who as Han Solo arguably shared more screen time with Mayhew than any other Star Wars actor, called him “a kind and gentle man, possessed of great dignity and noble character.”“These aspects of his own personality, plus his wit and grace, he brought to Chewbacca,” Ford’s statement goes on.  “We were partners in film and friends in life for over 30 years and I loved him. He invested his soul in the character and brought great pleasure to the Star Wars audience.”Star Wars creator George Lucas issued a statement calling Mayhew “a wonderful man.  He was the closest any human being could be to a Wookiee: big heart, gentle nature…and I learned to always let him win.  He was a good friend and I’m saddened by his passing.”Actor Billy Dee Williams, who will reprise his original trilogy role of Lando Calrissian in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker this December, tweeted: “Much more than Chewie to me…My heart hurts…I will miss you my dear friend…thanks for the great memories!”As a more complete statement from the family explains, Mayhew starred as Chewbacca in the original Star Wars trilogy, one of the prequels and more.  Ultimately, his advancing age and declining health meant the role went to Finnish actor Joonas Suotamo, who tweeted that he was “devastated” by news of Mayhew’s passing, calling him a “dear friend and mentor …He was an absolutely one-of-a-kind gentleman and a legend of unrivaled class and I will miss him.”As the story goes, Mayhew was working as an orderly in London’s King’s College Hospital in while George Lucas was preparing to shoot parts of 1977’s Star Wars at nearby Elstree Studios.  Mayhew reportedly said all he had to do was stand up for Lucas to give him the role, which he played in the original trilogy and two other Star Wars feature films, the last being 2015’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Mayhew had few acting roles outside of the Star Wars family and related projects.  According to his family, memorial plans are set for June 29 and there will be a memorial planned later this year in Los Angeles for fans.Mayhew is survived by his wife Angie and their three children.Star Wars is owned by Disney, parent company of ABC News.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more