Indians Manager Terry Francona Says Kipnis and Hanley Ramirez Scheduled to Play Monday

first_img Matt Loede As spring training continues in Goodyear, Indians fans should pay close attention to Monday’s affair for the Tribe as they take on the San Diego Padres, as a couple players that could be key to the 2019 roster will be in action.One player who will return to the field is second basemen Jason Kipnis, who has appeared in just one game so far this spring due to a quad injury.Saturday Kipnis told reporters that he was feeling a lot better, and manager Terry Francona confirmed he’s scheduled to play in Monday’s game.“He’s going to go out and sprint today, possibly even run the bases, which could come tomorrow,” Francona said.“Tentatively we have him in there Monday playing.”While Kipnis will be back on the field, a lot of eyes will also be on the newest Indian, former Red Sox slugger Hanely Ramirez, who the team came to terms with on a deal late last Saturday.Ramirez has been working out with the Indians, and he will look to make a comeback as he hasn’t played in a regular season game since May 24th of last year when he was with Boston.The Red Sox released him on June 1st, and he did not sign with another team but played this last offseason in Winter Ball as he looked to impress enough to make a team want to sign him, which the Tribe did. The Indians will give him that shot, hoping he can get back to the form of even two seasons ago when he hit 23 homers with the Red Sox, driving in 62 runs and hitting .242. Matt Loede has been a part of the Cleveland Sports Media for over 21 years, with experience covering Major League Baseball, National Basketball Association, the National Football League and even high school and college events. He has been a part of the Cleveland Indians coverage since the opening of Jacobs/Progressive Field in 1994, and spent two and a half years covering the team for 92.3 The Fan, and covers them daily for Associated Press Radio. You can follow Matt on Twitter HERE.center_img Related TopicsfeaturedHanely RamirezJason KipnisTerry Franconalast_img read more

Dennis Rodman benched for Yao Ming at Pyongyang friendly?

first_imgPYONGYANG, North Korea (AP) — Has Dennis Rodman, the former NBA star-turned pal of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, been benched for Chinese hoop legend Yao Ming?The former Houston Rockets center and eight-time NBA all-star took center court in Pyongyang, North Korea’s capital, on Tuesday as Chinese and North Korean basketball players held a friendly match, part of a high-profile sports exchange between the two countries intended to help thaw ties that had been growing chilly over the past year.Senior ruling party officials turned up for the game, but Kim, who was famously serenaded with the birthday song by Rodman in Pyongyang in January 2014, didn’t attend.On the court, Chinese female basketball players who are visiting Pyongyang this week mixed together with North Korean female players to form two teams, called “Friendship” and “Unity.”The Unity team won the match, 107 to 106.Yao Ming, towering over everyone else in the stadium, congratulated the players at the end of the game.“Today’s friendly match will be a display of top basketball skills and the great sportsmanship of all the players from both of our countries,” Kim Il Guk, the North Korean minister of sports, said before the game began.After a period of frosty ties, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has visited China three times this year, and traditional proclamations of friendship between the two neighbors have been resurrected.Speculation continues as to whether Chinese President Xi Jinping will visit North Korea in return.Yao Ming, who at 7′6″ (2.29 meters) was one of the tallest players in the NBA, is the head of China’s Basketball Association.He arrived with a high-level delegation on Monday that includes China’s equivalent of a sports minister. In this Tuesday, Oct. 9, 2018, photo provided on Wednesday, Oct. 10, 2018, by the North Korean government, Chinese hoop legend Yao Ming, center rear, poses for a group photo with Chinese and North Korean basketball players after their friendly match in Pyongyang, North Korea.(Korean Central News Agency/Korea News Service via AP)last_img read more

FIFA World Cup 2018: Can El Tri beat five-time champions Brazil and advance to…

first_imgAdvertisement lztzzNBA Finals | Brooklyn Vstxneq7Wingsuit rodeo📽Sindre Epb( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) 1fgfq8vWould you ever consider trying this?😱conCan your students do this? 🌚8lpwmRoller skating! Powered by Firework Advertisement With a place in the last eight at stake, this game promises to be a blockbuster. Brazil are clearly the favourites to win this game but it might not be too easy for the Seleção on the field considering how this World Cup has turned out to be unfortunate for the big teams and former champions.  While El Tri have upset the Germans, they were however completely blown away by Sweden. If they want to stop Brazil and secure a place for them in the final eight for the first time in over 32 years, they’ll need to replicate with greater fervour what they did to Germany, holding their ground at the back and counter-attacking with breakneck speed whenever the ball came to them.Advertisement The pair have already squared up 40 times and Brazil have the edge historically with 23 wins to Mexico’s 10, plus 7 draws. Their last encounter was a friendly match held three years ago in Sao Paulo, which the hosts won 2-0 with goals from Philippe Coutinho and Diego Tardelli.This will be the teams’ fifth showdown in the FIFA World Cup, where they first crossed paths in 1950. Brazil have by far the better head-to-head record in this competition with three wins, one draw and 11 goals scored, whereas Mexico have never managed to breach the Brazilian’s defence. The most recent meeting took place in the group phase four years ago and finished 0-0.Advertisement Can the likes of Neymar, Philippe Coutinho and Paulinho breach the Mexican defence or will Guillermo Ochoa be the Mexicans’ saviour?The match will be played at the Cosmos Arena in Samara, Russia. It will begin at 07:30 pm IST and will be telecast live on Sony Ten 2 SD and HD, Sony Ten 3 SD and HD, Sony ESPN SD.The team line-ups:  Read also:Football: Midfield Maestro announces retirement after bowing out of the World CupFootball : Mohamed Salah signs a long-term contract worth £200,000-a-week.     Advertisementlast_img read more

Charlie’s magical trip

first_imgBy KATHRYN BERMINGHAM A WORLD of pure imagination awaits as the students of Harkaway Primary School, including Bella, Tom, Alannah…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.last_img

Police seeking this man

first_imgBy ANEEKA SIMONIS A MAN known to frequent Pakenham is on the run from police, wanted for failing to front…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.last_img

Nine Galway City And County Golfers Aim For Irish Amateur Boys Title

first_imgprint WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Email Mark Power (Pictured) was victorious at Castle last year, winning by six shots, and the Kilkenny international is bidding to win back-to-back championships. Should he retain his title, Power will be keeping company with Greystones’ Paul Dunne, who completed a unique double at Bangor in 2009. Dunne is the only two-time champion in the history of the Irish Boys, which dates back to 1983. Previous winners include Damien McGrane (1988), Michael Hoey (1997) and Rory McIlroy (2004).Since the championship became an open event in 2012, there have been two international winners. England’s Bradley Moore won at Thurles in 2014 and Adrian Pendaries from France took the title at Tuam the following year. Eight visiting countries are represented in 2017: England (11), France (5), Turkey (4), Germany (3), Iceland (2), Netherlands (1), Portugal (1) and Slovakia (1).Surviving the 54-hole cut will be the immediate goal for every player in the field. The top 50 and ties progress to the final day. If Power recaptures his 2016 form, he will be hard to catch but with Ireland teammates Reece Black (Hilton Templepatrick); John Brady (Rosslare); Jack Hearn (Tramore); Robert Moran (Castle) and Cameron Raymond (Newlands) in the field, potential winners abound. The Irish Boys Amateur Open is underway at Castletroy with Nine Galway City and County Golfers all aiming to take the crown won by Mark Power last year.They are Ross Kelly from Tuam, Liam Nolan and Liam Power from Galway from Galway, Jack Touhy from Galway Bay, Luke O’Neill from Connemara, Alan Hill, Darren Leufer and David Kitt from Athenry and Ronan Hynes from Oughterardlast_img read more