HomeFeaturedCalifornia revisits three-strike life sentences Oct. 19, 2018 at 5:00 amFeaturedNewsCalifornia revisits three-strike life sentencesAssociated Press3 years agoapNews DON THOMPSONAssociated PressCalifornia will reconsider life sentences for up to 4,000 nonviolent third-strike criminals by allowing them to seek parole under a ballot measure approved by voters two years ago, according to court documents obtained by The Associated Press on Thursday.The state will craft new regulations by January to include the repeat offenders in early release provisions. Gov. Jerry Brown also will not appeal a court ruling that the state is illegally excluding the nonviolent career criminals from parole under the 2016 ballot measure he championed to reduce the prison population and encourage rehabilitation.The state parole board estimates between 3,000 and 4,000 nonviolent third-strikers could be affected, said corrections department spokeswoman Vicky Waters, “but they would have to go through rigorous public safety screenings and a parole board hearing before any decision is made.”It’s the second such loss for the Democratic governor, who leaves office days after the new rules are due. Another judge ruled in February that the state must consider earlier parole for potentially thousands of sex offenders. The administration is fighting that ruling, which undercuts repeated promises that Brown made to voters to exclude sex offenders from earlier release.Prosecutors are not surprised and warned throughout the Prop. 57 campaign that nonviolent third-strikers would unintentionally fall under the measure’s constitutional amendment, said California District Attorneys Association spokeswoman Jennifer Jacobs.“We expect the same exact thing to happen with regard to sex offenders,” she said. “To fix this they’re going to have to go back to the people for a vote, which can’t even happen for another two years.”Brown will not appeal last month’s ruling by a three-judge appellate panel in the Second Appellate District in a Los Angeles County case that third-strikers must be included under Proposition 57’s constitutional amendment. It requires parole consideration for “any person convicted of a nonviolent felony offense” regardless of enhancements under California’s three strikes law.“There is no question that the voters who approved Proposition 57 intended (inmates) serving Three Strikes indeterminate sentences to be eligible for early parole consideration,” the appeals court ruled, adding that, “There is strong evidence the voters who approved Proposition 57 sought to provide relief to nonviolent offenders.”Administration lawyers said in a filing in a separate related case that the state “is not seeking review” of the appeals court decision and “is in the process of drafting new emergency regulations in compliance” with the decision by Jan. 5.Michael Romano, director of the Stanford Three Strikes Project, called the administration’s decision to comply “a big deal, a huge deal.”Clients potentially affected by the new decision include inmates serving life terms for stealing a bicycle, possessing less than half a gram of methamphetamine, stealing two bottles of liquor or shoplifting shampoo, he said.“It’s a monumental decision. It’s one of the biggest decisions on sentencing policy in the Brown administration,” said Romano, whose project represented third-strike inmates in several appeals.The ruling doesn’t guarantee any of the offenders will get out of jail. But it allows them to go before the parole board. Romano estimates 4,000 people will be eligible for parole.Nonviolent third-strikers are disproportionately black, disproportionately mentally ill and statistically among the least likely to commit additional crimes, said Romano, who has studied the issue.He cited corrections department data on more than 2,200 nonviolent, non-serious third strikers who were paroled under a 2012 ballot measure that allowed most inmates serving life terms for relatively minor third strikes to ask courts for shorter terms. Less than 11 percent returned to prison by October 2016, the latest data available, he said, compared to nearly 45 percent for other prisoners.Tags :apNewsshare on Facebookshare on Twitteradd a commentWalking Tour of Adelaide Drive: A Neighborhood Above It AllChallenge for indicted Republicans: Win re-electionYou Might Also LikeFeaturedNewsBobadilla rejects Santa Monica City Manager positionMatthew Hall9 hours agoNewsCouncil picks new City ManagerBrennon Dixson20 hours agoFeaturedNewsProtesting parents and Snapchat remain in disagreement over child protection policiesClara Harter20 hours agoFeaturedNewsDowntown grocery to become mixed use developmenteditor20 hours agoNewsBruised but unbowed, meme stock investors are back for moreAssociated Press20 hours agoNewsWedding boom is on in the US as vendors scramble to keep upAssociated Press20 hours ago
Vermont Business Magazine Representatives from Long Trail Brewing Company, Farrell Distributing, and Hannaford Supermarkets visited the Vermont Foodbank with a check for $18,566, monies raised from a recent promotion in Hannaford stores throughout New England. During November and December 2015, Long Trail Brewing Company donated $1 for every case of Long Trail sold at Hannaford Supermarkets.“Long Trail Brewing is really proud to play a small role in the important efforts of the Vermont Foodbank. Most people in the state are unaware that one in four Vermonters cannot afford enough food or enough nutritious food,” said Jed Nelson, Marketing Director for Long Trail Brewing Company. “Together with our friends at Hannaford and Farrell Distributing, we are able to help supply more than 55,000 meals to our neighbors.”In Vermont, Farrell Distributing matched Long Trail’s donation dollar for dollar. “Farrell is always proud to support a program that works with the Vermont Foodbank,” said Ryan Chaffin, Director of Marketing for Farrell Distributing. “When they are involved, we always try to step up our game because we know the dollars go to a wonderful mission!””These funds will help Vermonters who are struggling financially to provide nutritious food for themselves and their families,” said Eric Blom, Hannaford spokesman. “The partnership between Hannaford customers, Long Trail Brewing Company and Farrell Distributing will make a difference toward ending hunger in Vermont.”Funds raised from this promotion will provide more than 55,000 meals for Vermonters in need of food assistance. “Farrell Distributing, the Long Trail Brewing Company and Hannaford Supermarkets have stepped up time and time again to support the neighbors in our community who face hunger every day,” said John Sayles, Vermont Foodbank CEO. “We are grateful for their loyal partnership in the work of ensuring no one in Vermont goes hungry.”About the Vermont FoodbankVermont Foodbank is the state’s largest hunger-relief organization, serving Vermont through a network of food shelves, meal sites, shelters, senior centers and youth programs. In FY2015, the Vermont Foodbank distributed 10 million pounds of food to 153,100 Vermonters. The Vermont Foodbank, a member of Feeding America, is nationally recognized as one of the most effective and efficient nonprofits and food banks in the nation. Learn more at www.vtfoodbank.org(link is external)
Breanna Sanchez-ColemanNMSP News:BELEN – The New Mexico State Police Fugitive Apprehension Unit received information Tuesday, Feb. 11 from the Tucson Police Department in Arizona that several wanted violent fugitives from Arizona were in Belen. The fugitives were identified as Maurice Diaz-Casales,16, Breanna Sanchez-Coleman, 20, and Jarrel Diaz-Casales, 18, all of Arizona. They were wanted in connection with multiple robberies that occurred in Arizona.After receiving this information, the New Mexico State Police Fugitive Apprehension Unit, which was created by Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham in October of 2019 to arrest wanted fugitives across the state, began an investigation to locate these fugitives, and coordinate a plan to safely take them off the streets and into custody. Maurice Diaz-CasalesDue to the violent nature of the individuals, the Fugitive Apprehension Unit requested assistance from the New Mexico State Police Special Operations Bureau consisting of Tactical Team, Bomb Squad and Crisis Intervention Team as well as the New Mexico State Police Investigations Bureau and Uniform Bureau.In the early morning hours of Wednesday, Feb. 12, Fugitive Apprehension Unit Agents positively identified and located two of the fugitives at 1200 Court Street in Belen. Jarrell Diaz-Casales After a brief standoff, New Mexico State Police Special Operations executed a search warrant on the house and successfully took Maurice Diaz-Casales and Sanchez-Coleman into custody. Jarrell Diaz-Casales was not in the house but through investigation agents quickly located him in Albuquerque and took him into custody without incident. A fourth individual, Lucy Sanchez, 21, of Los Lunas who is not believed to be connected to the Arizona robberies, was inside the Belen residence. She was arrested and charged with Abuse of a Child. CYFD took custody of her 4-year-old child. Maurice, Sanchez-Coleman and Sanchez were booked into the Valencia County Detention Center and Jarrell was booked into the Metro Detention Center. All four fugitives will be extradited to Arizona. For details on the Arizona crimes, contact the Tucson Police Department. This case remains under investigation by the New Mexico State Police with no additional information available at this time.* Note: A photo of Breanna Sanchez-Coleman was not available.
Subscribe Get instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270.