Jeff Tweedy Performs “Guess Again” On ‘Colbert’, Debuts New Song Inspired By Stephen’s Monologue [Watch]

first_imgJeff Tweedy was the featured musical guest on Monday’s episode of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, where he performed “Guess Again”. Additionally, the Wilco frontman also debuted a sample song about one of Stephen’s monologues from last week.“Guess Again” comes from Tweedy’s recently-released solo record, Love Is The King. Issued last Friday, the 11-track offering marks the Illinois-bred singer-songwriter’s fourth solo album in just four years.Related: Jeff Tweedy Covers John Lennon’s “God” In Honor Of Late Rocker’s 80th Birthday [Video]For Tweedy’s on-air performance he takes the stage at a studio that is definitely not the Ed Sullivan Theater, as Colbert himself still hasn’t returned to his main office. Joined by his backing band, Tweedy dons a darkened, desolate stage to perform the cheerful song about the best thing in his life—love. The song’s lyrics run with the album’s central theme, Love Is The King. With Tweedy’s words serving as the main focus, the drums come in ever so lightly so that the delicate acoustic guitar can be a focal point in the mix. Then, out of nowhere, an electric guitar solo comes roaring in as the song comes to a close.Tweedy also stuck around for an interview with Colbert, taped remotely. During their extended chat—which went on for over 14 minutes—they touch on Tweedy’s new book, How To Write One Song. The instructional literature gives readers the benefit of Tweedy’s decades of songwriting practice, and teaches just what the title suggests. As an example, Tweedy took out his guitar and played a brief song with lyrics inspired by Colbert’s October 22nd monologue about the final debate between Donald Trump and Joe Biden.Watch Jeff Tweedy perform “Guess Again” on Colbert, as well as a brief song written about Stephen’s monologue.Jeff Tweedy – “Guess Again”[Video: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert]Jeff Tweedy Debuts A New Song Inspired By One Of Stephen Colbert’s Monologues – EXTENDED INTERVIEW[Video: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert]last_img read more

Port Arthur man 1st reported COVID-19 related death in city

first_imgThe Port Arthur Health Department reported Monday afternoon the first COVID-19 related death of a Port Arthur resident.Authorities said the male victim was between the ages of 45 and 50 and had underlying health issues.“He had no known travel history,” a health department release said. “He [was] presented to the hospital with known COVID-19 symptoms and passed away during his hospitalization.” Among the other counties: Orange County has reported 29, Jasper County three, Tyler County two and Newton County one.While 80 percent of individuals who contract COVID-19 will have mild to moderate symptoms and fully recover, they may spread the disease to people who are at high risk. Authorities said the death is an “important reminder” that COVID-19 is a very serious disease.The Southeast Texas Regional Emergency Operations Center has counted 78 confirmed cases of coronavirus, 17 of which are in Port Arthur. Beaumont has the most in the six-county area with 48, Nederland has recorded six, Groves and the China/Nome area each have three, and Fannett/LaBelle has one.Three citizens of Jefferson County have died from coronavirus. The other death in the area came from Hardin County, which has 31 confirmed cases.center_img The elderly and people with underlying health conditions or weakened immune systems are at a much higher risk for developing serious complications from COVID-19.This tragic loss emphasizes the importance of taking all protective measures available to stop the spread of COVID-19, authorities said, imploring the community to follow the directives of the federal government, Office of the Governor of Texas, Jefferson County, and the city of Port Arthur.last_img read more

‘Roc on’ for 32nd edition of Roc d’Azur!

first_imgThe 32nd edition of the Roc d’Azur off-road and mountain bike festival got going on 7 October under the sunny skies of Fréjus in south-eastern France. More than 1,400 schoolchildren kicked off five days of sport and fun —five days that have once again attracted over 20,000 fans.This week, Wednesday afternoon’s Générations Roc saw 1,250 primary and secondary school students from the Académie de Nice, 150 representatives of associations in Fréjus and Roquebrune-sur-Argens, and 100 disabled people leave the first tracks on the paths of the François-Léotard Nature Base in Fréjus.Produced by A.S.O, the numbers for the iconic trail and MBK events on 7-11 October are impressive:More 20,000 participants, more than 100,000 visitorsNearly 300 exhibitors and 200 bikes to test at the Exhibition10 tons of food supplies50 countries representedThe Roc d’Azur took things up a notch on Thursday, when the expo opened at 10:00 CET (09:00 for the rest of the week), with 300 exhibitors displaying their wares over 28,000 m2, and the Roc Test Camp getting under way, where visitors get to try out the latest products to hit the market.Visitors will also enjoy the wide range of activities on the main Roc d’Azur programme. The EnduRoc, a popular event for several years, will see sparks fly in its five timed specials. The Tri Roc, the off-road version of triathlon, which made its Roc debut in 2012, will challenge triathletes to 1.5K of swimming in the Mediterranean, 24K of MTB in Les Maures massif and 11K of trail running.The programme will be packed with events up to Sunday. Two of the traditional highlights come on Friday, with the Canyon Roc Marathon (82K) for the toughest riders and the Roc Ruelles through the historical heart of Fréjus.After Saturday, when the focus will be on leisure rides, such as the Alltricks.com Rando Roc Noire (50K); and Sunday’s Roc d’Azur (56K) will see 5,200 riders go head-to-head in the traditional but always awaited finale of the 32nd edition of the Roc. As the organising team points out, ‘the Roc continues to grow and evolve.’www.rocazur.comwww.asochallenges.com Relatedlast_img read more

Ando, Suguri set for NHK Cup

first_img GET THE BEST OF THE JAPAN TIMES Figure skaters Miki Ando, Fumie Suguri and Yukina Ota will appear at the NHK Cup International meet in December, the Japan Skating Federation said Thursday. Ando, Suguri and Ota will appear at the Dec. 1-4 meet at the Namihaya Dome in Osaka in the women’s competition, which will feature 2005 world championship bronze medalist Carolina Kostner of Italy among others in one of the key Grand Prix series meet building up to the 2006 Turin Winter Olympics. IN FIVE EASY PIECES WITH TAKE 5center_img In the men’s event, Takeshi Honda, Daisuke Takehashi and Nobunari Oda will compete for Japan against world bronze medalist Evan Lysacek of the United States. last_img

Judge rules Ronaldinho must remain in Paraguayan jail

first_imgASUNCION, (Reuters) – Former Brazilian international Ronaldinho Gaucho was ordered to remain in jail in Paraguay yesterday after a judge ruled him a flight risk. The ex-Barcelona forward was arrested on Friday for attempting to enter Paraguay with a false passport two days earlier and spent Friday night in a police cell along with his brother and business manager Roberto Assis.The pair asked to be released into house arrest but that was rejected by the judge, who also dismissed Assis’s claims to have a heart problem because he showed no proof.Judge Clara Ruiz Diaz said their alleged offence was a “serious one against the interests of the Paraguayan state”. Because the pair posed a flight risk they must remain in custody, she added.Under Paraguayan law, officials now have six months to complete their investigation but Ronaldinho’s lawyers, who called the decision “incredible,” are expected to present an appeal in the coming days.“He (Ronaldinho) doesn’t understand what’s going on,” Tarek Tuma told reporters. Yesterday’s courtroom drama came after an astonishing four days that began on Wednesday when the duo attempted to enter Paraguay with doctored passports.They were detained but a prosecutor who believed they were tricked into taking the fake documents recommended they be released after receiving an alternative punishment such as paying a fine to charity.A judge, though, rejected that idea late on Friday and shortly afterwards the pair was arrested. A police official told local media the pair had been placed in a cell with one other inmate. They were given soap, cushions and repellent to protect against mosquitoes.Although workers at the facility took selfies with the famous detainee, officials said the Brazilians did not receive any preferential treatment.Paraguayan television showed the two men arriving in court in handcuffs at around noon local time yesterday. The brothers were invited to Paraguay by a local casino owner and had arrived on Wednesday to take part in a soccer clinic for children and a book launch.Although he last played professionally in 2015, Ronaldinho, who also represented Brazilian clubs Atletico Mineiro, Flamengo and Fluminense, is still hugely popular with global football fans for his skills and showmanship.The 39-year-old was named FIFA world player of the year in 2004 and 2005 and won the World Cup with Brazil in 2002 and the Champions League with Barcelona in 2006.last_img read more