Gov. Lujan Grisham Presents School Re-entry Update

first_imgNew Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham explains during a virtual press conference Thursday afternoon that the hybrid model planned for public school students throughout the state is placed on pause until after Labor Day, Sept. 7, due to the rise in COVID-19 cases. Gov. Lujan Grisham said additional time is needed to assure that a safe return to the schools can be achieved for students, faculty and educators. She added that schools have local discretion on when to open and use of online learning. Screenshot/LADP Chart shown during the governor’s press conference Thursday on COVID-19 Myths Vs. Reality. Screenshot/LADP Chart shown Thursday during the governor’s press conference on school re-entry plans. Screenshot/LADP Chart shown Thursday during the governor’s press conference on school re-entry plans. Screenshot/LADP Chart shown Thursday afternoon during the governor’s press conference on school re-entry plans. Screenshot/LADPlast_img read more

Spreading A Little Christmas Cheer

first_img Independent/Stephen J. Kotz Independent/Stephen J. KotzWith their monthly meeting over, about two dozen members of Sag Harbor’s American Legion Auxiliary filed into the main hall of the Chelberg and Battle Post 388.One member opened a large cardboard box containing Christmas stockings. Another volunteer opened a carton stuffed with warm, comfy cold-weather socks. Others passed boxes containing toiletries like toothbrushes, deodorant, and soap, or treats like candy bars, peanuts, and crackers, around the room.Like clockwork, the women began passing the stockings, which were soon filled to the brim until they circled back to the main table, where other volunteers tied them off with ribbons and enclosed a card wishing the recipient “Merry Christmas and Best Wishes for a Safe and Healthy New Year.”In less than an hour, four large cartons had been taped closed and addressed to Airman First Class Henry Kotz — this reporter’s son — who is stationed at Minot Air Force Base in North Dakota.Kotz, who comes from Bridgehampton, will be tasked with distributing the stockings to the men and women he works with maintaining the base’s fleet of B-52 bombers, which while aging, still play a vital role in American defense.Sag Harbor’s American Legion Ladies Auxiliary has been sending the Christmas care packages for the past five or six years. Usually, they are sent to a Sag Harbor serviceman or woman who is stationed overseas with the request that they distribute the 50 stockings to their comrades in arms.“They usually go to Iraq or Afghanistan,” said Debra Guerin, an auxiliary member who leads the effort. “But this year, we don’t know of anyone there.”Although remote by anyone’s standards, Minot is in the continental United States. The Air Force base is about 15 miles north of the city by the same name and it enjoys a reputation for being cold and windy. As the saying goes, “Why not Minot? Freezin’s the reason.” The first snow fell there on September 30 this year.Guerin said the auxiliary will continue to send out the packages. “It’s just a nice way to say, ‘Hey, we haven’t forgotten you,’” she said. Donations can be sent to: American Legion Auxiliary, Chelberg & Battle Post 388, P. O. Box 541, Sag Harbor, NY 11963.sjkotz@indyeastend.com Charlotte Van Houten, Bethany Deyermond, and Rita Smith, from left to right, of Sag Harbor’s American Legion Auxiliary stuff Christmas stockings to be sent to service members at Minot Air Force Base in North Dakota. Independent/Stephen J. Kotzcenter_img Sharelast_img read more

Statoil: Troll Field Production Reaches 1.5 Billion Barrels

first_imgDuring the last five years Statoil and its partners have invested as much as $7.84 billion on the Troll field, which came on stream in 1995. The investment level will remain high for many years to come.The Troll B platform in the North Sea.Troll is the story of achieving the impossible. The oil proven in connection with the largest gas discovery ever made in the North Sea was considered non-recoverable. Field production so far totals 1.5 billion barrels of oil.“The work we have done on Troll illustrates how Statoil operates to manage the offshore resources properly and safely to ensure value creation for the owners and the Norwegian society at large,” says Kjetil Hove, senior vice president for operations North Sea east in Development and Production Norway.At this year’s Offshore Technology Conference (OTC) in Houston he used Troll as an example of how Statoil’s activities on the Norwegian continental shelf (NCS), including technology development and expertise build-up, has turned Statoil into the world’s largest offshore operator.“An innovative approach to challenges has helped develop new technology, high expertise, concepts and solutions that extend the field life and enhance value creation, which in turn have led to spinoffs far beyond our area of activity,” says Hove.In addition to producing oil from the Troll B and C platforms, the field is today the cornerstone of Norwegian gas production, and one of the most central fields delivering gas to the European market.The field contains around 40% of total gas reserves on the NCS.The Troll C platformLargest oil producer on the NCSCorresponding to half the size of Mexico City, Troll is today among the largest NCS oil fields.When the discovery was made, however, it was considered impossible to commercialise the oil due to tilted layers and a very thin oil zone in the reservoir.To be able to recover oil from the thin layers Statoil has, in collaboration with the suppliers, developed advanced technology that enables drilling of horizontal multilateral wells.The Troll wells are drilled down to a reservoir located around 1,320 metres below the seabed, where they are split into two to four branches.Each branch extends around 3,000-4,000 metres horizontally into the reservoir. A total of more than one million metres have been drilled in the reservoir from 180 production wells.Technology to optimise production from the horizontal branches has also been developed to achieve higher total production per well.“In May we will reach the milestone of 1.5 billion barrels of oil produced since the startup in 1995. We are very pleased as we are able to realise both oil and gas values of this vital field,” says Hove. He praises the active partners who challenge and provide knowledge and expertise.Our ambition is to produce 2,1 billion barrels. In 2013 the field produced 124,000 barrels of oil per day. Even after almost 19 years of operation there are currently four drilling rigs in operation on the field, and this activity will continue until 2020.Up to 250 horizontal production wells will be drilled in this period. The field is operated by Statoil, with Petoro, Shell, Total and ConocoPhillips as licence partners.Video of Kjetil Hove talking about Troll Field:Press Release, May 08, 2014last_img read more

Japan’s Big Three Slash Full Year Outlook

first_imgDue to the persistent weakness in freight rates, Japan’s big three shipping companies Nippon Yusen Kabushiki Kaisha (NYK Line), Kawasaki Kisen Kaisha (K Line) and Mitsui O.S.K. Lines (MOL) lowered their full year outlook as they posted first quarter earnings.Nippon Yusen Kaisha (NYK) suffered the worst hit as the company reported a loss of JPY 12.78 billion (USD 123.1 million) in the first quarter, compared to a profit of JPY 43.06 billion seen in the same period a year earlier.NYK’s revenue decreased to JPY 470.7 billion in the quarter, from JPY 588.7 billion a year earlier, while its operation income plunged from JPY 17.4 billion to an operating loss of JPY 10.9 billion for the respective periods.The company estimated that its full year loss would reach JPY 15 billion, against the previously estimated profit of JPY 15 billion.NYK said that the container shipping market was extremely sluggish as growth in freight rates stalled due to an oversupply of tonnage, while the dry bulk shipping market also witnessed challenging operating conditions “as the lingering gap between supply and demand did not narrow significantly despite the scrapping of aging vessels.”Oversupply of all types of vessels grew markedly worse in the liquid transport market as a result of new deliveries of ships, NYK added.The company’s compatriot Kawasaki Kisen Kaisha (K Line) also closed the first quarter in the red. Namely, K Line reported a loss of JPY 26.79 billion (USD 258.2 million), against a profit of JPY 10.1 billion seen in the same period in 2015.The company’s revenues for the three-month period stood at JPY 244.59 billion, down from JPY 335.45 billion, in part attributed to low levels of dry bulk freight rates and a slumping containership freight rate market in its Asia-North America service.Furthermore, K Line’s operating income dropped from JPY 11.2 billion to an operating loss of JPY 14.8 billion.Unlike its counterparts, Mitsui O.S.K. Lines (MOL) posted a profitable first quarter as it recorded a profit of JPY 1.4 billion in the period, down from JPY 12.8 billion seen in the same quarter a year earlier.The company’s revenues for the period stood at JPY 360 billion, against the JPY 449.4 billion reported in the first quarter of the previous fiscal year.MOL said that the very large crude carrier (VLCC) market saw an upward pressure from time to time, but the decrease in cargo volume from the seasonal drop off in demand led to the market following a weakening trend since the beginning of the year.Although the improvements in the supply and demand environment on Asia-Europe and Asia-South America routes facilitated a recovery in the containership sport freight rates, the market continued to be difficult overall, MOL added.The shipping line predicts that its profit for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2017 will reach JPY 15 billion.World Maritime News Stafflast_img read more

Modulift movie premiere

first_imgThe video is an overview of Modulift’s products and services, and presents an insight into how the below-the-hook lifting equipment supplier works on a day-to-day basis. Modulift has also introduced a personalised YouTube channel, created exclusively for the company’s videos and promotional films.Watch it here:   www.modulift.comlast_img

US clears Konecranes-Terex deal

first_imgWith the conclusion of the committee on foreign investment’s process and the previous antitrust clearance by the US Department of Justice, Konecranes has now received all the required regulatory approvals for the acquisition of Terex’s MHPS business in the USA.Completion of the deal remains subject to additional customary closing conditions, however.Konecranes states that both parties continue to be fully committed to the acquisition and are working closely with competition authorities in the remaining jurisdictions to obtain regulatory approvals, allowing the deal to go ahead in early 2017 as planned.www.konecranes.comwww.terex.comlast_img

Stress taking its toll on barristers, survey shows

first_imgOne in eight barristers are ‘emotionally exhausted’ and more than half do not sleep properly. These are among the shocking findings of the most comprehensive survey of barristers’ wellbeing yet conducted, published by the Bar Council today.Stress and the absence of leadership role models were among the factors that weighed most on wellbeing among barristers, the representative body revealed, with many practitioners reluctant to seek help because of stigma around stress at the bar.Of 2,456 respondents to the survey – one sixth of the profession – at least 300 experienced emotional exhaustion, while 1,364 said they did not get enough good quality sleep.Half of the respondents (1,152) said they faced high levels of stress at work, with two-thirds (1,614) admitting that their current level of stress had a negative impact on their performance.  Financial concerns, high expectations, devaluation of the profession in the eyes of the public and government, and long unsocial working hours were shown as the most challenging aspects of life at the bar.At the self-employed bar, half of respondents said they felt disengaged at work. At the employed bar the proportion was one-third.However, employed barristers reported facing challenges caused by a lack of autonomy and a reduced sense of status compared with their self-employed colleagues.Those experiencing the highest work pressure and life satisfaction were aged between 35 and 55, while those at the criminal bar reported the highest level of pressure.Formal or informal mentoring was shown to ‘significantly’ reduce stress, although few respondents reported receiving mentoring. The bar plans to extend its mentoring service and produce guidance for chambers.Alistair MacDonald QC, chairman of the bar, said. ‘For too long, stress, mental health and wellbeing have been taboo subjects of discussion at the bar and in the wider legal sector.’last_img read more

Durflex rights acquired

first_imgTRACK: Bayer MaterialScience has acquired global marketing and usage rights to the Durflex trackform technology from Hyperion Verwaltung GmbH.The technology was developed by Hyperion in co-operation with track design specialist Frenzel-Bau. It is based on the use of Bayer’s Bayflex polyurethane foam, which is fed into the space between ballast particles. This provides a more stable track structure and a reduction in track-borne noise.The rights acquisition paves the way for wider application of the technology outside Germany, where it has been extensively tested at one site on the BVG network and one site on the main line between Hannover and Hamburg. It was also tested on two sections of track in China at the end of 2009. Bayer also expects to increase investment in the purchase of specialist rail vehicles for installing Durflex, which are supplied by Hennecke GmbH.last_img read more

Chinese-backed Tehran – Mashhad electrification contract signed

first_imgIRAN: A consortium bringing together Chinese companies CMC and SU Power with subsidiaries of local industrial group MAPNA has been awarded a contract to install and maintain overhead electrification equipment on the 926 km Tehran – Mashhad line, and procure 70 electric locomotives.The engineering, procurement, construction and finance contract was signed by national railway RAI on June 29. Construction is expected to take 42 months, followed by a five-year maintenance period. The project is to be financed from Chinese sources, with a 15% contribution from the Iranian government. The existing infrastructure is to be upgraded to increase maximum speeds on the route from 160 km/h to 200 km/h, with the capability of 250 km/h operation in the future. This is intended to increase capacity from 14 million to 35 million passengers/year and reduce journey times from 12 h to 6 h.Work to upgrade the line had been officially launched with a ceremony in February 2012.MAPNA has now delivered half of the 150 IranRunner diesel locomotives which it is supplying to RAI under a 2008 technology transfer agreement with Siemens, and is planning to offer its own range of freight, shunting, electric and underground locomotives.last_img read more

Schoolgirls in South Africa protest racist hair policies

first_img#StopRacismAtPretoriaGirlsHigh is trending in South Africa as a school in the capital, Pretoria, faces a backlash for allegedly telling black school pupils to straighten their hair.A petition STOP RACISM AT PRETORIA GIRLS HIGH which has 9,889  signatures so far, has been set up asking the authorities to investigate the school:Part of the petition read: “Learners at Pretoria High school are demanding that racist practices at the school are brought to an end. Girls attending the school have been forced to straighten their hair; are accused of conspiring when standing in groups and face other intolerable comments and actions.Twitter users tweeted to show support to the school Some superheroes don’t wear capes, they proudly wear their natural hair. #stopracismatpretoriagirlshigh pic.twitter.com/v4qFJC8hPj— #GoliathX2018 (@DonovanGoliath) August 29, 2016 No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin or his religion#StopRacismAtPretoriaGirlsHigh pic.twitter.com/qYFwFrEeH8— Machuka Wyclife (@Machukah) August 29, 2016center_img https://twitter.com/thesoulasylum/status/770139822082125824The Gauteng Department of Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi arrived at Pretoria High School for Girls to investigate racism allegations by its black learners this morning.Spokesperson, Elijah Mhlanga told DRUM that it is too soon to determine what action will be taken against whom at the school if the girls’ concerns are valid.“I can’t have a blanket solution for every time there is an outburst of racism at a school because each case is unique,” he says. “We want to know what is going on here before we can make a comment.”last_img read more